What should I do when my lab is flooding? How can I prevent water leakage?
A flood in a lab? Yes, it does happen when a certain of lab equipment, such as water purification system, is broken unexpectedly, especially in wet labs! And floods in the laboratory are costly and can cause serious damage, disruption, and even personal injury. Thus, avoiding laboratory from flooded is a must do. Today, let us explain the countermeasures for laboratory flooding from two aspects: treatment and prevention.
Measures should be taken once the laboratory is flooded:
- Find the source of the water. If it is safe, shut the water intake immediately.
- Shut down any equipment that may cause dangerous electrical conditions during floods. If water or sewage drips on equipment and desks, cover them with the plastic film.
- Get help quickly. Contact the laboratory manager in charge of the flood laboratory as soon as possible. Please contact the maintenance personnel in your area.
- If any chemicals or drugs contaminate the flood, ask for help from hazardous materials personnel and let them evaluate the next cleaning method.
As the old proverb says, “A word before is worth two behind.” It is essential to know how to deal with the lab flooding but doing an exhaustive daily prevention is the only fundamental way to resolve the problem ultimately. We cannot stress the importance of equipment maintenance enough. Dailly prevention and detection can do a great help in maintaining laboratory safety.
Keep a basic housekeeping checklist is a good idea for the laboratory to remind staff of which duties need to be taken care of on a daily basis, such as laboratory cleaning, lab equipment calibration and lab equipment repairment.
How to prevent lab from flooding while using a water purification system?
There are two things you need to do to protect your lab from flooding caused by the water purification system. Let’s stay ahead of the game and stop a problem before it starts together.
First, regular maintenance of your water purification system is needed. Please pay special attention to the system that have been used for more than 5 years.
- The water inlet pipe of the water purification system is connected with the tap so its interior is under water pressure constantly. In this case, the possibility of cracks appearing after the aging of the pipes increases.
- For the water purification system placed in the laboratory, the volatile acid, alkali and oxidizing reagents in the environment will accelerate the aging of the pipes and the joints.
- Sunlight is also a factor that accelerates the aging of the pipes and the joints.
In sum, the pipelines and joints should be checked regularly and replaced if necessary.
Second, leak protector is the opportunity for you to end up with leakage and flood.
Compare to the average cost of fixing a water protector, the loss caused by flooding in the laboratory is much greater.
- Laboratory wall damage: water seepage and peeling of the wall and the roof of the room
- Equipment failure: soaking in water causes permanent damage to the equipment. May also cause a short circuit of power supply or leakage of power supply.
- Impact the experiment: The results of the experiment may not be obtained in the ongoing experiment. And of course, the experiment cannot be completed as scheduled due to the recovery period of the lab.
With the help of the leak protector, you can ensure that your lab space remains secure at all time while the hard work you have done stays protected. The leak protector is equipped with automatic water shutoff valve of feed water. When water leakage is detected, the leak protector will shut off the valve of feed water and sound alarm automatically to prevent your lab from any unpredictable damage. What’s more reassuring is that the unit is battery operated so that it will not affect the work due to power failure. When it is in low battery, it will shut off the valve and set an alarm to remind you to replace the battery.
Therefore, we believe that it is the smartest way to let a leak detector guard your laboratory and prevent you from losing your work and equipment.
For further information about leak protector for Genie Water system, click here: https://rephile.com/leak-protector-for-genie-water-system-2/
Driven by innovation and quality, RephiLe is a dedicated provider of water purification systems and laboratory filtration products. At the same time, RephiLe produces comprehensive consumables that can be used in Millipore lab water systems with reliable performance. It is RephiLe’s commitment to becoming a partner of choice for customers in the area of life science and biotechnology. The company is striving to bring superior quality, high value and innovative purification tools to enable and accelerate the advancement of the life sciences and technologies. Products are being sold to over 90 countries worldwide.For more information, please visit：https://rephile.com/